What sets the William Cloran Academy Apart?
1. The graduating officer receiving the Certificate upon completing the program will satisfy the training requirements of the City of Boston to be a Special Officer.
2. The officer would have successfully completed 100 hours of intense training by experienced police academy personnel as required by the Boston Police Licensing Unit.
3. The sworn officer would be one who would be dedicated and committed to the security profession.
4. The trained security officer will have the knowledge and training to immediately recognize and respond to security matters, i.e. domestic abuse, CPR/First Responder, criminal activity and crisis intervention
5. By being trained in a formal police (private) academy environment the security officer will have an understanding of the procedural and legal responsibilities of any responding government police officers, providing them with information and valuable assistance in any further investigations.
6. The officer and client will be cloaked in additional liability protection. As sworn officers, the officers will have the common law protection of government officers.
Why hire or train a Special Officer to address your needs?
Simply put, our training best qualifies the officer to do the job!
* They are citizens of the United States
* They are at least 21 years of age
* They reside in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
* They are able to read, write and understand the English language
They have at least a high school diploma
* They are capable of physically and mentally performing the duties of a licensed Special Officer within the scope of Rule 400 (400A) of the Boston Police Department
* They are a suitable person of good moral character, without any felony convictions
* They must pass a written test approved by the Police Commissioner, and
* They must complete a 100 hour course of instruction as required by the Boston Police licensing Unit and conducted by a staff experienced in course of study designed by the Boston Police Licensing Unit
* Above required by Rule 400 (400A) of the Rules and Procedures of the Boston Police Department.
Licensed officers have the power, under their license, to make arrests, to preserve order, to enforce the laws of the Commonwealth and Ordinances of the City of Boston, limited to the premises or locality specified in their license. Though powers are granted, the employer can always limit the duties of each officer.
Each officer is bound by the Rules, Procedures and Policies of the Boston Police Department and their employers. Special Officers are dedicated personnel who have committed themselves to serve their communities, employers and their clients alike. Each has gone the extra step to serve.
Supervisors should attend the program. The training program offers an excellent opportunity for Supervisors to sharpen their knowledge and skills in order to better evaluate and supervise personnel. In addition, with the training, the Supervisor may be better equipped to advise their employer and clients on legal and supervisory issues that may arise from time to time.
PLEASE NOTE that the program is designed to meet the high standards of the Boston Police Department. However, the training program also provides a unique opportunity to security personnel throughout the state to participate in a substantive training program relative to the security profession generally.